Friday, July 11, 2014

A New Haircut and More Attitude!

We didn't do much this week as we try to get back into our regular groove. Kinsey caught up on her sleep this week and did a lot of playing at home. She has enjoyed practicing her climbing skills a lot this week. One time she even climbed onto my "lap" while I was squatting on the floor in front of her! It was very difficult not to lose my balance while she was doing that! She tries to climb on everything and gets really frustrated when she can't do it, but tries over and over again, which is good.

Kinsey's also started doing something else new - standing up without holding onto anything (sort of). From a crawling position she gets up on her feet one at a time while leaving her hands on the floor, so she's folded in half with her head down near the floor with her hands and feet. Then she grabs onto something nearby to pull her torso up and stand up all the way. That was hard to describe, so hopefully you can follow what I'm trying to say :) 

She's got more attitude lately too - complaining when she doesn't get her way, wants to get up from the table at dinner, when she can't do something she's trying to do (like climb on the couch), etc. I'd say dealing with her new attitude has made this the toughest week with her in a long time!

Anyway, one afternoon this week I set up the new sprinkler for her, but that didn't go over too well. She only liked it when I picked her up and ran through the sprinkler while carrying her. Otherwise she sat on the grass and cried. :( We've been struggling with her and the water this summer - sometimes she likes the splash park and other times not so much and she downright hates the pool this year. . . we've tried several different pools on various occasions and she screams bloody murder. So confusing because she loved the pool last year (after her love-hate relationship with swimming lessons last spring). She does seem to be ok with her baby pool as long as it only has a little water in it (like the bathtub). We don't quite understand the issue. One time she clearly wanted to splash in the pool water, but then started screaming again when she got close enough to actually do it. I'm wondering if we should try filling up the bathtub and getting in it with her to see what happens?

She did enjoy playing with the hose in the pool this time:



Kinsey got a haircut this week - what I would consider her first real haircut since it's the first time I've really cut any length off. The curls in the back were getting out of control with knots every day and Kinsey hates having it brushed so I decided to give her a good trim. We cut off about 3 inches! Her hair isn't quite as curly now, which I was afraid of. Hopefully the curls will return.



 The only other fun thing we did this week was go to Chic-fil-A today for Cow Appreciation Day and free food! Kinsey wore the cow hat from her Halloween costume last year, but the rest of the outfit didn't fit anymore (besides she would make sweat to death in it) so she wore her birthday dress from 2 years ago with the cow embroidered on it (yes, that somehow still fits).She loved meeting the big cow outside and gave him a BIG hug!






Finally, I realized this week that the blog I wrote the week before our Yellowstone vacation never posted (I guess I saved it, but never published it). So, no one ever got the news that Kinsey doesn't have to wear her splints anymore! Below is what I originally wrote a few weeks ago about that doctor's visit and some other info:


We finally went to see the orthopedic surgeon on Monday and Kinsey got to show Dr. G how she can walk a little on her own. After an exam and some x-rays, Dr. G said Kinsey doesn't need to wear the splints anymore! The visit wasn't all positive though - Dr. G initially said it looked like the bone had shifted back in her right foot, but after looking at the x-rays it turned out the bone in her right foot is still in the right place (she just pulls that foot to the side, but she can move it back into the right place), but it turned out the bone was actually shifting in her left foot. Nothing significant at this point and not anything the splints will help with, but something to watch. Kinsey's feet are obviously still not "normally" shaped and Dr G told us when she initially did the surgery that she would probably need another surgery in the future to correct them further. She discussed that again at this visit, but said none of that needs to be done until she gets bigger and is bearing more weight on her feet or if she starts showing signs that walking is painful. Dr G said we should come in for a check up once a year to keep an eye on things. So we're excited to not be wearing the splints anymore, especially since it's summer (they're hot and sweaty). And I get to buy a whole new shoe wardrobe . . . including cute sandals :) 

This week was also the first week of summer school. Tuesday was the first day and Kinsey was the first kid there and started to get upset when I tried to leave, but once a few other kids showed up, she was fine. Her teachers said she had a great day. On Thursday the teachers told me a fun story about how one of the little boys in the class bumped into Kinsey or pushed her out of his way early in the morning. She was fine, but apparently didn't forgive him for it - she would point and scowl at him every time he got near her the rest of the day!

She has definitely developed more personality and become even more opinionated lately. . . she's  a true three year old! And the glimpse of separation anxiety I saw at school on Tuesday wasn't the first time. She has figured out that when my father comes over that means I'm going to leave and she doesn't like that one bit! She's started crying several times when my dad's come over recently, especially if I'm in the entryway on the other side of the baby gate.



No comments: